About this Blog

This is the blog for Lincoln's EWB-UK placement in Ujire in Karnatica in Southern India. I am working for SELCO, a solar lighting social enterprise, on the development of a solar food dehydrator, a device used to increase the life of foods. The aim of the placement is to make it fully functional, more efficient and to conduct market research in order to help market the product to customers living in rural areas enabling them to break the poverty cycle.

Friday 16 July 2010

The mess opens.

For the last 10 days I have been eating out, either at restaurants (known as hotels) or local canteens. Today the engineering college canteen opened, where I will probably be eating most of my meals for the rest of my time in Ujire. I am still unsure about the names of a lot of the foods which has made it difficult when ordering, and it has taken a bit of time to learn the correct technique for eating with my fingers. Most meals consist of a form of carbohydrate, either rice, idli, rotti, buns, dough balls or pancakes, which are dipped in various sauces and vegetable dishes.

Smaller dishes (served with a spoon) include chats, soups, spiced chips, and gobi manchurian - the South Indian interpretation of Chinese. I certainly have not been going hungry! The one meal I am not enjoying much is breakfast, probably because I'm not used to eating anything remotely spicy so early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment