About this Blog

This is the blog for Lincoln's EWB-UK placement in Ujire in Karnatica in Southern India. I am working for SELCO, a solar lighting social enterprise, on the development of a solar food dehydrator, a device used to increase the life of foods. The aim of the placement is to make it fully functional, more efficient and to conduct market research in order to help market the product to customers living in rural areas enabling them to break the poverty cycle.

Saturday 10 July 2010

A classic engineering mistake

Thursday I spent trying to get the ideas I had for the solar dryer out of my head and onto paper. The problems I have identified with the previous dryer designs are: they are all heavy and immoveable, they do not work well in biomass mode because of a lack of thermal energy storage, the flow of air through the dryer (and across the food) is insufficient.

My solution to these problems is to make it flat packed, add an aluminium heat exchanger and add a chimney.

Yesterday, I created a model of my new design of dryer in Google SketchUp. I tried to understand the construction materials available by speaking to one of the interns who speaks the local language. Several hours later I had a model of a new dryer, however only now was I able to speak to the local carpenter who would be making the design. The preferred measurement system for the carpenter is inches. My design was in millimeters, and I had even got the widths of the plywood wrong!

Hopefully on Monday I will be able to get the design made by the local carpenter so it can be assembled, but I am not getting my hopes up as it takes a long time to get anything done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment