About this Blog

This is the blog for Lincoln's EWB-UK placement in Ujire in Karnatica in Southern India. I am working for SELCO, a solar lighting social enterprise, on the development of a solar food dehydrator, a device used to increase the life of foods. The aim of the placement is to make it fully functional, more efficient and to conduct market research in order to help market the product to customers living in rural areas enabling them to break the poverty cycle.

Thursday 5 August 2010

Indian Time

In my last post, I said I would have successfully dried smoke-free bananas. This is not the case!

The aluminum workshop rather reluctantly agreed to make my design of heat exchanger on Monday. By Tuesday they phoned requiring clarification on the design. I am still waiting for a phone call to let me know that it is ready to be collected.

On Monday, I also sent a sheet of plywood to be cut out to make the dryer. Unfortunately, the carpenter struggled to read the dimensions on the print out, and as such, when I returned yesterday he had not measured or cut out anything. I spent a good hour yesterday afternoon standing next to him telling him where to put the tape measure.

At this prototyping stage, these problems are not a major concern, but they do delay the project. I suppose I've just got to appreciate that the designs are not conventional, and work done according to Indian time, and not as fast as at home.

This weekend I'm looking forward to visiting Jog Falls – the highest waterfalls in India, which should be a spectacular sight during the monsoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment